I just tried deshaking a video filmed with a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 - and I succeeded!
The source video from the TZ7 is called something.mts
My steps were the following:
- Load the source video into Avidemux
- Leave the video track as it is ("Copy") and change the audio track to "mp3" (e.g. CBR, 128kbps). I unfortunately had to do this because otherwise Virtualdub doesn't do the next step... Set the output container to "AVI". And what was important for me: Set the appropriate frame rate of your video under Video -> Frame rate.
- Load the newly created AVI into Virtualdub
- Add the previously installed (copied) Deshaker as a filter (Video -> Filters -> Add) and set it to "Pass 1"
- Execute File -> Preview filtered... and wait!
- Set the Deshaker to "Pass 2" and File -> Save as AVI
- As I didn't tell Virtualdub any compression format or codec it outputs a raw AVI video. So now load it once more into Avidemux and set the video track to MPEG-4 AVC (x264), copy the audio track and let the container be AVI. At this point, I will surely not delve into the depths of the possible x264 configuration options!! (Though I could, as this was the subject of my university diploma thesis. )
- One weird thing was that after loading the deshaked raw AVI into Avidemux again (step 7) I saw the video vertically flipped!! So I had to apply a vertical flipping filter, too.....
Well, those steps did the trick for me!
By the way, my software versions were: Virtualdub 1.9.9, Avidemux 2.5.2, Deshaker 2.4, and I worked with Windows 7.